Monday, May 21, 2007

New Music

I love it when I discover new (to me) music! My friend Jeremy introduced me to Martin Sexton this weekend. He played me "Diner" (which was featured on Scrubs...Anna, you'll like it!) and I thought it was interesting, so I looked him up on itunes. The rest of the album Black Sheep is amazing as well, especially "I Can't Stop Thinking About You"...WOW. I also downloaded a live album Live Wide Open because anyone who's spent time with me knows that I prefer live music to anything. Martin is one of those musicians who sounds better live...I highly recommend that you all check him out! (P.S. He'll be at the Three Rivers Arts Festival on June 2nd!)

"Martin Sexton is ripe with ... raw, expansive talent. His voice comes in a hundred impossible shades. His songs are sweet and spirited and soulful. His repertoire is like a cross-country tour of the American musical vernacular." – Boston Globe

"Martin Sexton is one of the most talked-about recent arrivals to the "new folk" acoustic music scene. The guitarist, singer and songwriter has an amazing vocal range and makes effective use of it in his live shows. Unlike so many other contemporary singer-songwriters, his vocal style can best be described as soulful, combining the best qualities of singers like Van Morrison, Al Green, Aaron Neville and Otis Redding." -- AOL Music

Besides my new musical discovery, the weekend was pretty laid back and relaxing. I slept in, got my hair cut, ran some errands, re-watched The Office season finale (SO GOOD), went to church and we had a potluck last night. It was a fun weekend. My weeks are so busy lately...I love it when I don't have that much to do on the weekends! I've discovered I watch too much TV. Tivo is wonderful, but dangerous. I get home from work, class, whatever and then I have to catch up on TV. Tonight there are THREE season finales that I'll be watching (Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor & Heroes)...pathetic! I'm kind of glad that the summer is full of reruns...I'll be outside more! I'm looking forward to the upcoming long weekend. I'm excited that I'll be in town this year for Rolling Thunder's "Ride for Freedom"! Last year there were an estimated 250,000 bikes in attendance. It's a very cool event. I'll try to get some good photos to post!

No comments: