Saturday, November 16, 2019

Don't Put It Off - Travel Bucket List

I've been recently thinking about how important it is to live in the now, instead of wishing and waiting. I recently went on a cruise and had a wonderful time. I was 9 weeks post knee replacement surgery, so probably not the best timing. But the trip had been planned and I wasn't going to cancel. It wasn't the easiest, but I found ways to manage. During this trip, I visited Venice, Italy for the 2nd time. It had been 14 years since I'd been there, but I loved it just as much as the first time. 


 


Now, just a few weeks later, Venice is experiencing the worst flooding in 50 years and many priceless artifacts and buildings have been damaged. Venice is in serious trouble and it will cost millions to do what's necessary to protect this beautiful city.  (Photo credit CNN.com article)




I was talking to a friend who told me she'd always wanted to go to Venice and is now worried she'll never get there, or the city will be destroyed before she has the chance. I feel the same way about Petra, Jordan. I've always wanted to go, but it seems like it would be hard to get there. It's expensive, a long flight, few hotels, physically strenuous, etc. But if this is a city I desperately want to visit, why do I continue to put it off? There are ways to get around the roadblocks. I don't want to regret never visiting the place that's #1 on my bucket list. (Photo credit)



Don't let these excuses keep you from seeing the places in the world on your bucket list!

  • When I retire, I’m going to travel to [my dream destination].
  • I really want to go to [my dream destination] as soon as I can find someone to go with.
  • Next year, I’m going to travel. (but then you don’t do it)
  • A trip to your dream destination gets more and more expensive.
  • You travel, but you go everywhere except the one place you most want to visit.
What can we do to make a dream a reality? 
1. Determine your obstacle. Is it financial? Is it deciding if you're traveling alone or need a buddy? Is it health related? Is it because you're afraid?
2. Brainstorm and make a list of ways to overcome that obstacle. If it's financial, find ways to start a travel savings fund or find inexpensive options for your trip. If it's health related, talk to others with your same restrictions to see what they've done, or talk to your doctor. Start an exercise regimen to get in shape. If it's because you're afraid to travel alone or the planning is overwhelming, start small. Find a friend to travel with you. Give yourself a deadline and work on a step each week or month. 
3. Apply your list. You have to decide if this dream location is worth overcoming the obstacles. If so, start today! You don't have to solve everything at once. 

I wish I had time and money to go everywhere. Literally everywhere. But I don't. So why am I procrastinating visiting the places I want to see the most? Now's the time to plan, save, and GO!


No comments: